I was so happy to have tried something new this summer even if it was only for a few months! I am super excited with the progress I have been able to make and how easy it actually was for me to step outside my comfort zone and finally learn how to cook! I’m not going to lie as the first few weeks went on I didn’t think I was going to do very well, however I definitely got a better take on things and eventually turned by photos of food into videos of myself making the food! I was initially pretty excited to be learning how to cook, and now that I have cooked for a couple months I have become very confident in my cooking ability! (to prove this, I will say that none of my family members got any type of food poisoning!) I have definitely been able to learn a lot through this process and am super happy I took the time and effort to learn something that I was interested in.
- One of the first steps to my online learning was through different types of websites. The first website that I found extremely helpful with my online learning was the allrecipes site. It gave me step by step directions of different types of food dishes and was very easy to follow. It gave me the steps I needed to be successful and ended up being a super fun one to follow as well! I began to use this recipe for many of my cooking pieces and began to love it more and more! This site is definitely one of my go to sites on cooking!
- The second account that was super interesting and resourceful for me was Feedly! When we first started our class this semester, my professor Katia, recommended this site for us to use for our learning projects and education articles. I quickly started using this site for my learning project as well where I was able to get a wide range of recipes that were super eays to follow and fun to use. Many of the recipes are from peoples blog posts off the internet, however, they have a lot of cooking recipes, tips and information on cooking in their blogs. Thye also have visuals that they post on their blogs which makes it easier for visual readers such as myself.
I never knew how resourceful the internet really was until I began searching for elements of my learning project. I never took advantage of the types of things that were on the internet. I will take full advantage of this during my years at University and after that as well. I was able to gain a better understanding of technology through my learning project and understand the value of online learning. My online learning has been an amazing experience and I look forward to using these skills towards my teaching and the rest of my degree!
What I learned throughout the weeks of cooking:
Week 1: Clam Pasta
- I gained an understanding of the ways to use recipes and how to organize the ingriedents while cooking
- Learned how to buy the ingriednets that I needed
- Getting familiar with how to use the stove and ovan successfully
Week 2:Lobster and steak
- First time making lobster or steak
- Learned how to shop for lobster (how to buy it based on looks and size)
- Also learned how to shop for the right type of steak (again based on size and look)
- Learned how to boil both of these items without burning or boiling them for to long
- Learned how to marinate steaks
- Realized how time consuming making a big dinner like this is
- Learned how to wait patiently for the steak to marinate and for the lobster to boil
Week 3: Greek Ribs
- Gained knowledge of a new website off of Just pinch
- Learned how to be in the kitchen for 8 hours and wait patiently
- Learned how to cut the meat and the importance of having a sharp bladed knife to cut them easier
- Learnt how to properly season the ribs while they were boiling in water
Week 4: French toast
- Learned how to bake the toast on an ovan
- Main thing was that I learned how to add the appropriate mixings of cinnamon, and brown sigar
Week 5: Lasagna
- Learned how to successfully take videos of myself cooking the meal!
- Was introduced after researching and found a new website while I was very excited about from all recipes
- Leaned how to cook the meat (I had to make sure that I was cooking the meat at a high enough temperate for it to cook but low enough so that it wouldn’t burn)
- I learned how to make lasagna pieces by boiling them in my pot
- Learned how to layer different types of cheese on top of lasagna
- Learned how to successfully cut mushrooms in small enough pieces for it to boil and use in the lasaga layer
- I learned that making lasagna isn’t as easy as it looks, you have to be able to cook the meat at a perfect temperature for it to taste well so that it sticks well with the other ingridents
Week 6: Denver Sandwiches
- Wanted to make something that was relatively quick and be able to test how far I have come with my learning posts. Wanted to see how I would do with an easier and quicker recipe where I would be pressed for time and see how it would turn out
- Learnt how to cook eggs, peppers and onions on an ideal temperature so that they would melt while learning that having the stove on level 6 was the ideal temperature
- Learnt that I needed around 10-15 minutes to cook the bread and cheese in order for them to melt
Takeaways that I learnt through my learning project:
- Take the time to actually learn something. I have always been someone who is pretty impatient and during this learning project I learned that there are many things in like including cooking that I need to be more patient with in order to be successful.
- Step outside my comfort box. I never thought that I would be any good at cooking, however, being able to step outside my box allowed me to realize that I actually have passion for being in the kitchen!
- Making mistakes is part of the learning process. During my weeks in the kitchen there were things that I messed up on and things I thought I wouldn’t be able to recover but I learned that it Is okay to make mistakes when I am learning something new! The first time I made the Denver sandwiches I ended up having the ovan on to high of a temperature and burnt them the first go around. I had to go back and make a new video in order to recover the mistake I had! I went back and redid the video because I felt frusterated and didn’t want to embarrass myself. However, it enabled me to learn a lot about cooking in general and I learned the correct temperature and time to cook the buns!
- I learned so much from online resources. Through the recipes that I research I learned which websites worked best for me and which ones didn’t. There are ones that I will definaely be using in the future! I am glad I did some online learning because places such as FEEDLY allowed me to gain knowledge of cooking as well through tips and blog posts from other people
Overall, I am super happy with my progress in my learning project and am super happy that I choose cooking for it! I gained so much experience with cookng in general and gained confidence in my online learning! Thank you to everyone for helping me through this!
For my last learning post I decided to make Denver sandwiches! The recipe that I got offline was from all recipes.
I wanted to learn how to cook this recipe so that I could make it in the mornings at school. They are both healthy and delicious! The recipe that I found was also very easy to follow and easy to use. I have always loved breakfast food and have eaten these sandwiches at Denny’s on multiple occasions. I thought that making videos of me cooking it for this week’s blog post was a good way to document my progress of this meal! I made this meal for my mom, dad and myself!
I took a photo of the ingredients that I needed. For this particular recipe there were not to many things that I needed which was easy to cook! The ingredients included:
- 1/2 a cup of melted butter
- 1 orange and 1 yellow pepper
- 16 slices of cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 onion
- 6 slices of whole wheat bread
Here is a little introduction to what I am going to be making for breakfast today!
Next I will go through the various steps of the breakfast
1.The first step of the recipe required me to cut the onions and the peppers into tiny pieces. I then put them into a pan where I cooked them on the stove for 7 minutes until they softened. I have also included a photo below to demonstrate how the onions and peppers looked when boiled. Here is the video of me cutting the ingreidents!
2. The second step of the recipe was cutting the cheese into 16 individual slices and placing them onto the bread so put on the pan. I then cooked them for twenty minutes. The cheese melted on the bread and were then ready to be eaten.
3. The third step was cracking the eggs into the pan on the stove and mixing them with the peppers and the onions. Once I mixed them I let it cook for 10-15 minutes until it harden. Once it was cooked I was able to place the eggs,onion and peppers on the bread between the two pieces of bread.
Here is a photo of my final product!
l was one of my favorites so far. It was so tasty and was something that I could easily make. I am always on a run to do things and because this meal was pretty easy to make it is a beneficial one for me!
Things I would do differently: I found that I didn’t cut the peppers into small enough pieces. They were fairly large pieces when I cut them which made it longer for them to cook. In the future cutting them down to smaller pieces is something that I would do differently. One other things I would do is cook the cheese on the bread for longer. I only cooked them for ten minutes which wasn’t quite enough time for them to fully melt.
Hey everyone! I just wanted to update everyone on my learning project and thought a video would be better to use to document some of my progress so far! One of the things I have learned through my first few weeks of my learning project I have found that patience is key to any skill that you are wanting to learn. There are a few different websites that I found to be more effective and easier to learn than others. I have included the ones that I liked compared to the ones I didn’t like in my recent blog post.
I found this website to contain a lot of step to step instructions. Their ingredients were very easy to understand and for me being more of a visual learner I found this website to be more effective in my learning style. An added benefit to this website was also the amount of recipes they have to offer. I have been focusing more on breakfast, lunch and dinner meals and this website included a ton of variations. It provides quick and easy recipes on days that I am busy and want something to be easy to make. Here is the recipe website .
The website allows you to watch a descriptive video on how to make the meal which helps aid visual learners! I also like how it includes how long the meal takes so that I can plan my day around how much time my meal will take me to cook. The other main thing I love about this website is how it contains a checklist on the ingredients tab so that I am able to check off certain ingredients I have. This allows me to keep myself focused on the ingredients I need to buy or already have available!
The next good website I have found is actually on my Feedly account! This account has given me a wide range of recipes that I can make based on people blogging their own experience of it! The recipes are based on people’s blog posts! They talk about how they make the dishes or meals and how the meals are made. The blog posts also include tons of visuals so that you can visually see what and how they are making. These meals are a big more complex however, if you are able to make them correctly they look like they could be amazing! I am super happy with the way these meals are displayed. The main difference with the meals on this website is that they are based on more individual blogging and individual experience rather than straight recipes and directions. Both of these websites have been huge positives for me and I am glad I spent the time researching some of the better ones for my learning!
This is the main page of a recipe that appears on my Feedly account. It gives a brief description of the author and the cook.
One of the websites I found to be less appealing is one that I found from taste of home
This website was not as structured and not as easy to navigate for myself. It had a bit different layout in terms of the main page.
The main page of this website was a bit harder for me as it looked a lot different than the other websites. One of the reasons I didn’t like this one as much was the steps that it included to make the meals. The website only includes 2 steps for each meal which does not give a lot of direction. I found it very difficult for me to understand how to do each step because it didn’t give me a lot of direction. Here is a photo of the directions tab.
Overall, I am very happy with the progress I have made. I have made a lot of learning progress in the way I am able to follow recipes and how I cook my meals. I will continue to do further research on different online resources and will continue to update all of you on my learning progress! Stay tuned! The progress I have made is mainly due to the research I have done on different recipes and which ones work better for me as a learner! If anyone has some good websites to try let me know!
Hey everybody! This week I switched my learning project up a little bit and decided to make videos of myself cooking Lasagna! I wanted to be able to show more of a visual presentation of cooking in order to show everyone my progress! I thought this would be a good chance to change it up!
The ingredients that I had included: I found all my ingredients off of this really good cooking website.
Step 1: This is the introduction to my recipe. I have made a video of myself beginning to cook the meal:
Step 2: The second step was making the middle layer of the lasagna where I mixed the cheese, spinach and powdered garlic as well. I mixed all of these into a medium sized mixing bowl. Here is a photo of the cheese I had to shred first and the second photo is how the lasagna looked after the middle layer was all ready to go.
Step 3: The third step was making the Italian meat sauce.
Step 4: The fourth stage was cooking the mushrooms in the microwave and also cooking the meat in the oven. I included a visual representation on the video below.
Here is a photo of the mushrooms before I put them in the oven. I had to cut them into smaller pieces and put them all together in a bowl.
Step 5: The last and final stage of the lasagna is in this video.
Here is the final completion of the meal. I also made some garlic buns with melted butter in the oven. The meal itself was amazing! My family really enjoyed it as well!
I really enjoyed making this meal. I found myself learning a lot about the different ingredients and how to use them in the kitchen. The meal took quite a long time to prepare (3 and a half hours) however, on days I have a lot of time I will be able to make it. The things I would do differently would be to add a little more meat on the bottom layer of the lasagna, it could of used a little but more. I would of probably added in a bit more garlic powder as well.
Overall, I believe I have made some excellent progress in my learning project. I love everything that I have made so far and hope to continue learning more and more awesome recipes!
This week I finally learned how to make a proper french toast meal! To those who cook on a daily basis it probably seems like a pretty easy and common sense meal. However, I never have offically made french toast until today and I absoluetly loved the meal! I also added in some fresh fruit and some yougurt as well to top it off. I got the meal off of this really cool all recipies website that was super easy to follow.
This ingredients included:
- 1/4th cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoom of vanilla exract (for taste)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar (I exchanged it for brown sugar instead)
- First I made sure thast I got the ingredientsI
- then measured the flour into a large mixing bowl. I slowly whisked in the milk. I whisked in the salt, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla extract and sugar until it was smooth
- Next, I put a frying pan over medium heat
- I soaked the bread slices in mixture until saturated. I had to cook the bread on each side until golden brown.
- Here was the final version!
Overall, I loved this meal! This was such an easy and easy to go meal!
This week I thought I would try a harder type of recipe and try Greek Ribs. I got it off of a really good recipe off of a Greek website. The website took me longer than I expected simply because I have never made a meal of this length or callabor. The prep work and cookning time of the meal was around eight hours. Needless to say, it was almost a full days work in the kitchen! I learned alot about making this meal and one of the main things I learned was how to cut the meat! It is definately a lot harder than I imagined. This meal will be something that is beneficial down the road as I start cooking more and more meals!
- 3/4th cups of oil
- 2 Tbsp oregano
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/4th cup of lemon juice
- 2-3lbs pork ribs
- Salt and pepper
Here is a photo of all my ingredients!
Next I will go through the steps of the meal:
1. First I had to cut each rib and seperate them. I also had to combine all of the other ingredients and pour them over the ribs after mixing them together. I had to make sure each of them were cut individually. One of the hardest challenges was making sure I didnt cut my fingers with the sharp knife!!
2. Next I put all the individual cut ribs into a pan all together.
3. Next I waited about 6 hours and had to let the ribs marinade all day on level low. I put the ribs in a big pot and put it on the stove. I also put salt and pepper on the ribs before turning the stove on. Before this however, I had to preheat the oven to 350 degrees
4. After the ribs soaked for six hours I transferred them into a bowl. I put the sauce that I mixed before together on the ribs and shaked the bowl with the lid on. I baked the ribs for about two and a half hours.
5. I made sure that I made some roasted potatoes and a ceaser salad to top the recipe off!
I was very excited to finally be able to make this meal! It was something I was very happy to be able to make. I thought that the amount of time the meal took was one of the hardest parts.
The first meal that I made was for my mother, for her meal I made her favorite meal which was lobster tails, steaks, and boiled red potatoes. My dad helped me immensely as he has been cooking for a very long time and has cooked this meal for many years. In the morning both him and I went to Cosco to grab the steaks and the lobster tails. We also made sure that we had the rest of the ingredients already at our house. We looked off of an online recipe as well so that he could teach me how to read different recipes for my personal learning. For the lobster tail, we used a recipe off of https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/34638/broiled-lobster-tails/. It provided me with basic directions on how to properly cook the two lobster tails. Next, I had to find a recipe for the sterling steaks which I used off of https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14554/sirloin-steak-with-garlic-butter/.
Here is the introductory photo with all of the ingredients that I needed for the prep work:
- 2 lobster tails
- 4 red potatoes
- 3 medium sized steaks
- Barbecue sauce
- Worcester sauce
- Say sauce
- Seasoning salt
- Montreal steak spice
I will be posting the recipe and instructions with a picture by picture of what I did.
- My Mother’s Day meal included a lot of planning and preparation. In the afternoon after I got all the ingredients together, I started out by marinating the steaks for three hours putting barbeque sauce, Worchester sauce, soy sauce, seasoning salt, Montreal steak spice and pepper on beforehand.
- I then did the meal preparation where I boiled two small lobster tails for ten minutes in salt water. Next, I cooked the three steaks on high heat for five minutes per side.
- I then baked the red potatoes in the microwave for 10 minutes and steamed the asparagus for 7 minutes. And dessert is blueberry cheese crumble with vanilla light ice cream after supper.
Here is the final overview of the meal!
Some things that I did not know before were first, how to properly buy lobster and steaks in the store. My dad helped me a lot with how to choose the appropriate size of the items and getting the right ones. I also did not realize that you have to marinate the steaks for such a long period of time.
This past weekend I made a good second meal called clam pasta. I researched different pasta meals and ended up stumbling upon this one off of https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/red-clam-sauce. Pasta is one of my favorite meal and I wanted to make one that had a good tasting sauce for taste. For the pasta meal, I made sure that I had all of the required ingredients.
The required ingredients included:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 ounces linguine, cooked and drained
Photo of my ingredients before I started cooking
Step 1: In a large bowl, I mixed the thyme, can of diced tomatoes, clams, basil leaves, parsley flakes, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and a tablespoon of Canola oil. After that, I started to cut a full onion and put it into the bowl.
Step 2: I turned the oven on to medium-high and I placed the pan on the hot plate. I had to cover and cook the sauce on low for 3 hours until it was heated. Here is a photo of what the pasta sauce looked like once it was boiled.
Step 3: Once the pasta sauce was boiled I started to boil the actual pasta which took around 10-15 minutes. During this time I made sure the top was on top of the pasta sauce to make sure it kept hot.
Here is the final version of my clam pasta!
I have learned many new things during my journey of cooking and I am super glad that I am learning! I thought the meal went really well. I thought that leaving the top on the pan was a very good idea because it kept a lot of the taste inside. One thing I would try to do different would be to either cut up more of the clams or heat it for longer so that there aren’t as many big chunks of clam when I actually eat it! I was very glad I was able to make this successfully my first time! I have already learned a lot from being in the kitchen which is exciting!
I have chosen Cooking for my learning project. I am very excited to be learning something that I have not had much training for. I have never had the opportunity to learn much about cooking. One of the main motives for learning how to cook was from https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/ayeshas-home-kitchen
Being an athlete I have to take certain considerations for my diet in order to train and compete at high levels. My diet changed considerably once I came to University after I left home and I never learned how to cook good and delicious meals before I left. I want to be able to cook many different meals by the time I come back to school and one of the main resources that I have found so far have been from https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/eat-athlete. Many of the meals on this website target individuals who work out a lot on a daily basis. It contains a bunch of healthy meals that are fairly short time wise.
The idea behind my desire to start cooking was to allow myself to be more comfortable with cooking my own meals. I also wanted to become more comfortable with accessing online recipes. There are some easier meals that you can find on many different online sites that are good when I am running short of time or when I am feeling lazy. I have always loved food and have always wanted to cook my own meals. I love the feeling of being in the kitchen and making different meals. Growing up my dad did all the cooking, however, I never really learned how to cook anything by myself. I have never been in the kitchen by myself so that was why I thought it would be a good learning experience for me. I have cooked very basic meals before such as; cereal, pancakes, grilled cheese, pasta and some other ones that don’t require much time or skill. My goal is to learn how to make more healthy and bigger meals so that I can able to challenge and add on to my existing knowledge in the kitchen.
I have divided my learning project into three different sections including; Pre-meal (ingredients), during, and after (the final product)